Youth Business Fair Southport-Oak IslandBookmark this
YOU'RE NEVER TOO YOUNG TO START A BUSINESS!!!
The Southport-Oak-Island Area Youth Business Fair is a new event in 2019.
The Brunswick County Chamber piloted the Building Brunsco Kids Expo on August 25th, 2018. Seeing their success, the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce and North Brunswick Chamber of Commerce added a similar event in their areas of the County.
What is a Youth Business Fair? Applicants create a product or service, develop the brand, and then market and sell it at the event. They run the booths without adult assistance ensuring they practice skills necessary for professional and personal growth such as creative and critical thinking, math and communication skills.
The Southport-Oak Island Youth Business Fair will be held on Saturday, November 23rd from 10:00 am - 1:00pm in Brunswick Community College Southport Center, 705 North Lord Street, Southport. Participant application deadline is 9/20/2019. There is not a fee for the youth to participate. There will be two Workshops for the participants - 9/23 and 11/4 both from 6:00pm - 7:30pm at the Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce.
The participants will be judged, and awards given out to Most Original, Highest Business Potential, Best Presentation & Overall. Title Certificate Sponsors Farm Bureau Insurance Agent Ken White & Southport Magazine.
Age Group Sponsors: Kindergarten to 2nd Grade - Burnish Bookkeeping, CFF Kids Gymnastics and Fitness Academy, Soaring Away. 3rd Grade to 5th Grade - R.D. White and Sons and SeaGlass Designs - glass straws. 6th Grade to 8th Grade - Jamerson Appliance Repair and Youth Choice Family Health & Wellness. 9th Grade to 12th Grade - Coastal Painting & Improvements & Dosher Memorial Hospital.
What is the Youth Business Fair?
How many businesses will you accept?
Where should I begin?
How do I apply? Can I apply as part of a group?
What is on the application?
- What product or service do you plan to sell?
- What price will you charge for each product/service? How much will each product/service cost you?
- How will you pay for your startup costs? If someone is helping you with your startup costs, how will you pay that person back?
- How will you advertise/market your business before the fair?
- At the end of the fair, how will you determine if your business was a success?
What if someone else has the same business idea?
How will the fair be set up?
Will electricity be available?
Will there be any Workshops?
Workshop on 9/23:
- Can your Business Generate Revenue, tomorrow?
- Price your product/service to sell.
- Sales Pitches That Win (5 key ingredients, Entrepreneur Student Pitch Demonstration, Pitch Assignement for Workshop Two).
- Panel of Stories - Young Entrepreneurs and their Ventures
- Pitch Your product/service - 60 second sales pitch to panel and video posted on Facebook.
- One Panelist Critiques on Pitch.
- Certicate for Workshop attendance.
- Membership for a year.
What are the rules?
How did the Acton Children’s Business Fair get started?
Jeff and Laura Sandefer and a few other families wanted to spark a sense of wonder and entrepreneurship in their children so they created the first Acton Children’s Business Fair in Austin, Texas, in 2007. That year, there were seven entrepreneurs and around 25 attendees. Now, there are over 115 entrepreneurs and 1,500 attendees at the Acton Children's Business Fair in Austin.
How did the Southport-Oak Island Youth Business Fair get started?
Southport-Oak Island Area Youth Business Fair is one of three youth driven expos/fair in Brunswick County. The Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce organizes the November Youth Business Fair in Southport, North Brunswick Chamber of Commerce organizes a May event in Leland and Brunswick County Chamber organizes a August event in Holden Beach.
The introduction of this new event was brought to Brunswick County to provide a forum for the next generation of entrepreneurs to showcase their passions and talents.
For more information contact Southport-Oak Island Area Chamber of Commerce (910) 457-6964.